Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Too small

Maggie has struggled with breastfeeding from the get-go. It didn't help that she was put under the bili-lights for two days after she was born (for her jaundice) so we've been struggling. I had been feeling more and more worried about her eating/feeding and small size lately and finally went with my gut and called the paediatrician from their parking lot to see if I could come in for a weight check. (I had been out running errands and just decided to stop) I'm so glad I did-she was only 6lb, 15 oz which was down from her previous gain back to her birth weight a week ago! I immediately felt horrible and started to cry. I was hoping to go in, be reassured that all was well and leave sheepishly with a pat on my back as a "worried new mommy." So, not the best news but at least my mama's instinct was working and now we are working on plumping Miss Maggie up! I met with our practice's nurse practitioner Deb who is wonderful. She was very reassuring and very pro-breastfeeding and not only gave sound medical advice from her end but strongly encouraged me to call the lactation consultants at the hospital to get some extra help. We did give Maggie some formula in the office and they gave me samples to take home to supplement my feedings on the breast. I used them a few times but then read more online about pumping and supplementing with my own milk instead, so we have been doing that and leaving the formula as only a last resort. So now I feed her until she seems done, then I pump and give her 1-2 oz of expressed milk to "top her off" and make sure I am giving her countable amounts. This has not been easy as she feeds 30-45 minutes on the breast, then I have to pump and then it seems like it's time to start the whole process all over again.

I went to the lactation consultant's office on Wednesday and they were wonderful! Right away they could tell that Maggie wasn't latching on fully. She was only nursing on the tip which made her work very hard and use a lot of energy to get the milk and because of this she was also only getting the "skim" milk and not the good fatty milk. She showed me how to make her latch on correctly and right away we heard her gulping and swallowing like crazy. She was fighting me on this "new way" but after a few days of making her do it the new way, she is latching on correctly on her own most of the time. I was relieved to find a reason for her inefficient eating correctly since Wednesday afternoon. She also looks and acts much better.
We went again on Friday for another weight check and she had only gained 2 oz since Monday, they weren't very happy with that but I feel okay about it as we really only had been eating but want to wait until our next weight check on Tuesday, March 11 before making any orders for additional tests. Brian and I have talked about it and as long as she has gained so more we will wait another week before consenting to invasive testing. My gut is saying that she is okay although I do have moments of wavering on this. I am putting a lot of pressure on myself since I am the one providing the food for her. I am stubborn and want her to get the best which is why I am not giving up on the breastfeeding. I am nervous about tomorrow and hope and pray she has gained some sufficient weight to make them happy and me too!!


Keep us in your thoughts and prayers!! I'll let you know what we find out tomorrow and will add some more photos and updates too.
*******UPDATE******
She was 7.1 Friday and today (Monday) was 7.4 so that is good! They are still being cautious but the doctor said she looks healthy and made decent gains so she is giving us another week before making a recommendation for tests. Keep up the good work Maggie!

1 comment:

Crazz said...

Sorry I missed out on reading this in time, but my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. My gut tells me that since she has gotten better at latching, she's going to be OK.

Hang in there momma!! We Love You!